LE TOUQUET GOLF RESORT & THE GOLDEN YEARS
AN INTERNATIONAL SENSATION
24 May 1904
Opening of the La Forêt (the Forest) Course designed by Horace Hutchinson and Nicholas Lane Jackson, two renowned architects. Inauguration by Lord Balfour, Prime Minister of England, under the presidency of the Duke of Argyll, King's son-in-law. Lord Balfour, a great amateur, tests the course and the seaside resort’s destiny becomes linked to that of golf: both will become immensely popular.
The British gentry and the talented golfers like Harry Vardon or Arnaud Massy visit the club regularly. Creation of the 9-hole course in the heart of the La Forêt Course: the Le Manoir (The Manor) Course.
1914 - 1918
Organization of the French Professional Championship. John Douglas Edgar will win against Harry Vardon.
LE TOUQUET GOLF RESORT BETWEEN THE WARS
THE ESSENCE OF A LEGEND
Creation of the "Lewis Gun School Cup" by the English officers, a challenge held each year until 1939. From 1919, the golf club is rehabilitated, and the international press publicizes the famous links of Le Touquet. We see photographs of Edward VIII, Prince of Wales, and of Prince Henry his brother, as well as Lady and Lord Dudley who built the Chalet du Bois. In 1919, the very select tournaments "Brigands Club " and "Bucks Club Tournament" take place in Le Touquet.
Victory of Aubrey Boomer (GB)
Poster contest by the tourist office, awarded to Courchinoux. This image becomes emblematic and 12,000 copies are printed
14 june 1928
Launch of the design of the 18-hole La Mer Course in the dunes by the famous architect Harry Shapland Colt (Royal Zoute, Muirfield, Sunningdale, Wentworth ...)
Morison's long article in the Daily Mail on the La Mer Course nearing completion: "The new course includes the 18 most magnificent holes a scratch golfer can find. Each of them is a masterpiece."
Opening of the La Mer Course and the Club House facing tee No. 1. The Prince of Wales came nightly to secretly test the course for a few days before ... Le Touquet Golf Resort becomes one of the largest golf clubs in the world (45 holes) under single management.
International French Women’s Championship.
Sidney Brews wins the French Open (South Africa).
Martin Pose wins the French Open (Argentina).
The Second World War stopped the rise of golf. The record is clear: as of September 4, 1944, at the Liberation by the Canadians, 2000 bombs had been dumped by the allies on Le Touquet. The Club House was destroyed, the golf courses became scrub. The city of Le Touquet is partially destroyed.
LE TOUQUET GOLF RESORT AFTER THE WAR
THE RENAISSANCE OF MYTH
1946 - 1948
In 1946, 9 holes are again playable.
Two years later, the reopening the 18-hole La Forêt Course happens in record time. Jean Stoneham, widow of Allen, makes available to the golf course Le Manoir (The Manor), her own villa, to replace the club house.
1950 to 1958
The Manor became a hotel-restaurant in 1950. A year later, work on the La Mer course begins. In 1958, the 9-hole Le Manoir Course was reopened. The La Mer Course remains in abeyance, its reconstruction work proving to be costly and complex.
The La Mer Course is reopened, but for practical reasons, its initial layout had to be modified. Henceforth, many international and prestigious tournaments were once again organized at Le Touquet Golf Resort.
Vincent Tshabalala wins the French Open. Sam Torrance sets the new record of the La Mer Course with 63. One year later, Severiano Ballesteros wins the 2nd edition of the French Open at Le Touquet.
Le Touquet Golf Resort becomes French for the first time in its history, following the sale of Touquet Syndicate Ltd by Mr. Bell to Brent Walker group, when the resort becomes part of the Golf Open France group chaired by Nicolas Boissonnas.
The La Mer Course is rebuilt by the architect Harold Baker, revisiting his precious original route. Two new holes are created on the La Forêt Course and the pitch and putt becomes a full function 9-hole course, named Le Manoir. A new club house is planned for the site of the one destroyed during the war.
A new Club House is born in August, in place of the old one. Largely open to the courses and nature, it is located on the forest side, facing the Manoir Hotel. In contemporary style, it is designed by Pierre-Louis Carlier.
The courses have been returned to their former glory. A bold, award-winning restoration has transformed the resort, sparking an unprecedented leap in rankings for La Mer, now in France’s top 10 and continental Europe’s top 40 courses. Many prestigious national and international competitions have once again taken place at the resort, which carries such immense history and passion for the sport.