Le Touquet-Paris-Plage was born in 1837 at the mouth of the Canche. Pines, sands, sea, forest: the beauty of the estate is such that Villemessant, then director of Le Figaro, nicknames the place Paris-Plage, because of its proximity to the capital. The area was so exciting that an Englishman, Sir John Whitley, created a seaside resort according to the English model. Accompanied by Allen Stoneham, future founder of the Golf du Touquet, both great supporters of the Cordial Agreement, created the Touquet Syndicate Ltd. Charles Garnier, renowned architect, designed a “pleasure” there: the seaside resort, like those then in vogue across the Channel, was born. The British presence is therefore inseparable from the city: it is well recognized in all its architecture, in the “Touquettois style”.
Following the latest government decisions, Le Touquet Golf Resort remains open.